View Single Post
Old 07-08-17, 20:12

Default Canadian Dodge, 3 ton 4x2

Hi all,
This is my first post on here, introductions first I am based in England on the East Coast in the county of Suffolk, not too far from Tom Watts.
I have recently purchased this 1943 military Dodge, which according to the farmer has not been used for at least 45 years, the truck is very complete with most if not all of its data plates. The plan is to restore the truck to correct war time spec, there has been mainly one modification carried out to the truck, that being tipping gear and frame added below the original body, with the rear of the chassis shortened to allow the body to tip. the truck also originally had a gun cupola which has been covered with a tin plate. I do not know much about this model, so any info anyone can give would be gratefully received, I have many questions to answer, hopefully they will eventually be answered!

The chassis number is 91065118
Engine number is TU01 49435-3
Model D60420 C-GS-1
Manufactured 22/06/43

Whilst looking around the truck this weekend a few initial questions have been raised.
1 - There is evidence of sand coloured paint below the civilian green and war time olive drab, with the manufacture date would/could this vehicle have been built for the North Africa campaign but not issued due to the end of that particular battle, subsequently being painted in the olive drab? or could this truck have been built ready for the Sicily invasion? Or could this just be an undercoat?
2 - The body appears to be correct based on pictures from the few resources available and compared to Tom Watts truck, however are the body extensions original? The iron work, brackets,coach bolts and nuts all look to be of the correct period. I think the rear mudguards are a later addition dating from the tipper conversion.
3 - The dual rear wheels look to be the correct style as do the front 'split rim' wheels, the spare for the rear wheels is carried under the rear of the truck, where would the spare 'split rim' have been mounted?

thats all for now, Kevin

The site will not allow me to upload the pictures at the moment, asking me to log in when I am already logged in! I will have another go when I have posted this.