View Single Post
Old 17-03-14, 03:53

Default Australian International K5

G'day folks,

I'm new to this forum, although I've been a lurker for quite some time. Thanks for letting me join. I notice that there are many Aussies on this forum, and that's a good thing for those of us who are hoping to learn. I'm an Aussie, living in Junee, in the NSW Riverina.

For years, the truck in the first attached pic has sat by a road leading into Junee. A mobile advertising billboard for a local law firm, it had captured my attention as looking to be ex-military. I tracked the owner down, and he very graciously allowed me to acquire it, for which I'm very grateful.

I've tried to research the Australian use of the K5, with a level of success. This one is interesting in that it is different from the usual steel-cab K-series Inter trucks seen out here. I've tracked down a couple of shots of the canvas-roofed ones, but have found nothing about them; how many were built, what they were used for, and whether many survive.

This truck was owned by a local family for years, and spent much of its time under cover, so there is very little structural corrosion. It was going to be disposed of, before it was saved by the gentleman who owned it before me. It has a wheat bag kicker fitted, but very few other mods. It is missing its seat and a few other small components, but I've managed to track down a replacement instrument cluster, side step and some engine parts.

I'd like to return it to its military condition, although I'm not in a hurry to think about painting, as the original paint is still not bad. I've used a light grade oil (as seen in Pic 2 and Pic 3) to see whether I could make out any numbers on the bonnet/hood, without success. The tray is pretty-well stuffed, but I imagine that it previously had timber sides. There's a plate stating from GMH's Special Body Division, but I don't know whether this refers to the tray or whether GMH assembled this truck.

The pics show the truck as it sat by the road, followed by some close-up pics. I'll upload more shots in subsequent posts.

I'd be very keen to hear what people might have to say, either about the use of the type in Australia, or suggestions as to the work to be undertaken. All suggestions, thoughts, and comments are appreciated. I'm new to this, having an aviation background, but I want to do it right.

Cheers,
Matt
Attached Thumbnails
K5.jpg   K5a.jpg   dK5b.jpg   K5f.jpg   K5g.jpg  

Last edited by Matt Austin; 17-03-14 at 04:10. Reason: Added oil reference