View Single Post
Old 10-02-07, 22:59

Default Request info for C15A

Based on the above comments, it appears that the towing spring mounted in cast fittings within the frame rails is a later production change for C60L. It is also seen in the photo attached (cribbed from Bob Carriere's post "Which winch is which") on an FGT.

"Blueprint for Victory" shows an early FAT being assembled with the pintle spring at frame rail height, held in place by bent metal brackets that appear to be about the same thickness as the spring leaves.

The truck that I bought, thinking it was a C15A, came with the cast bracket within frame rails style of attachment for the tow spring. I haven't done the complete survey yet, but didn't notice evidence of a winch ever having been fitted to require a higher mounted pintle to clear the fairlead rollers. I also don't know date of production any better than: Cab 13, round guage, hip ring features, and even this may be doubtful due to mix and match maintenance and restoration.

At first, before finding this thread, I was speculating that due to smaller tires and wheels a 15cwt would have a lower frame height than a 60cwt and that to maintain a common pintle height the springs were mounted between the frame rails rather than below them. Then I went looking for period photos to confirm or disprove the theory and found that most photos are from front or side so they don't show the pintle area very well. Of the photos that I found of 15cwts several, including Cab 13s, had the under mounted pintle springs. Does anyone know what the relationship between classes of vehicle (15cwt, 30cwt, 60cwt, etc.) production date and style of pintle mount is?

Thanks for any enlightenment.
Attached Images