View Single Post
Old 19-01-04, 06:50
Sgt Ret'd

Default SAR Command Halftrack

Well, it has started, the M-3 White Halftrack has found a new home indoors, all the welds have been removed and the halftrack has been inspected thouroughly. I have been accepted as the project leader and now have to "sell" my proposal to the Regimental Foundation for the restoration. Help has been coming in from all over for this project and I want to say thanks for the members and friends who have helped so far. There is a great deal of work to begin, lots of things to do. Unfortunately there are a few dissappointments as well, when i had first inspected this vehicle shortly after it arrived in Edmonton from Harvey Barracks in Calgary(a number of years ago). I was able to look inside, at that time it still had Wireless sets, a vehicle data plate and other small important pieces such as the light cluster for the dash, the speedo head and other gauges as well, since then the vehicle has been stripped of these parts.I was particularily dissapointed with the missing data plate as the paint behind it was extremely fresh and had no rusting when i examined it on Saturday, and I think it has just ended up a souvenir on someones shelf at home. But overall the M-3 is in pretty good shape. There is alot of surface rust in the interior, but a lot less than I had feared. I will attach some more photos we have gathered of this particular vehicle in Europe during the war. Our wartime CO's family has provided us with the following photos, most have Col Wotherspoon prominent in them, he is the one with the enigmatic smile. Enjoy and i will be posting more photos of the restoration as time allows.
Cheers, Rob McCue
Attached Thumbnails
gdw _ tank.jpg  

Last edited by Rob McCue; 19-01-04 at 07:00.