View Single Post
Old 18-06-14, 00:46
GM Fox I

Default Cheek rest has to go.

I tried the fit again. The bracket at the back is 2" wide and falls 54" to 57" from the division plate muzzle bracket, which means it coincides with the rifle wooden cheek piece. The problem is that the cheek piece plus the rifle at that point is over 4" wide.

No fit.

I thought that maybe the bracket was meant to hold the cheek rest and left hand carriage rail of the Boys only, with the buffer tube and right rail hanging off the bracket inwards. This worked at the rear end but the barrel was too far to the right to fit the middle support bracket. So I took off the cheek piece and it clicked into place. The rubber strap won't work with the stud on the right and I think the stud would be better positioned on the bottom of the bracket. Mine is on the side because I think it originally took a web strap that used a buckle at the top: the stud being the anchor for the strap (similar to the way the web strap works out the front of the commander's position).

Note how the monopod sits nicely in the space forward of the cooker trays.

The odd thing is that there is room on the left side of the rear bracket so why didn't they make it wide enough to hold all 4" of the rifle without removing anything? The butt bracket in the front is wide so why not the rear one?

And of course, what DO those clips under the batter box hold? My guess (assuming they hold a Canadian Boys bipod at all) is that that is exactly what they are for. If you were unlucky enough to be issued a Canadian Boys I don't think the bipod would fit as neatly as the British monopod. In that case it may have been necessary to remove it, like it or not. Did early British carriers have these clips?
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01144.jpg   DSC01145.jpg   DSC01146.jpg   DSC01149.jpg   DSC01150.jpg