Thread: For Sale: Unstucker kit
View Single Post
Old 26-08-22, 13:48
Terry Warner

Default at the risk of derailing

Marc, good luck but I won't be buying.

A hundred and fifty years ago, the M38A1s had a percentage of With Winch models. In the Reserves these were seldom used. We were kids and although there was a Performance Check in our training to learn how to run the winch, most of the instructors had little or no experience running them. Towing was the preferred way of getting unstuck, and every available 15' steel cable with a triangular or oval end was distributed across the recce troop. I remember using them once.

There were no M151A2s or Iltis With Winch. The Unstucker kit was a staff idea to keep single vehicles mobile. Good idea, but IMHO not a success. The kit almost always stayed in one of the bins - because it was on the checklist. In Bosnia '02-'03 the HQ where I was posted had a number of Itli' and I clearly remember having to stand out in the rain learning about chaining up. The driver had to clamp the links shut against resistance, and then rubber bungee the whole thing snug. Staying on the road or at least just skating on it, was probably the lesser of two evils.
Attached Thumbnails
Iltis 86476.JPG  

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!