View Single Post
Old 18-12-17, 19:23

Default Post War Canadian Army Paint

In particular, I am curious about the reasoning behind the introduction and use of what is commonly referred to as NATO Gloss OD Green. A colour that is close to, but not quite, like the factory paint found on the Canadian 1950’s set of M Series vehicles.

If I think about it, I cannot recall ever seeing this NATO green on anything other than wireless/signals/comms equipment, where it seems to be slathered on with gay abandon, more often as not by brush. Any original markings or colour are wiped out in an instant, and where the object in question may have had a very informative description/ID stencilled to it originally, all that remains is an often cryptic one line ID and a ZA/CAN Number. To what end, I am curious?

It seems to indicate the item in question was still in active use in it’s late postwar life, which begs an additional question. If a unit was using a Telephone Set D and it crapped out on them, but additional stocks were still available in the supply system, did the brand new replacement item have to be repainted before use? Seems a great waste of many resources, for a currently unknown or understood benefit.

David