View Single Post
Old 05-06-12, 22:05
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Australian prime movers

Our prime movers were the 134" wheelbase, we didn't use the F60T here in Australia. And only Ford made the 115" wheelbase tractor late in the war.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Wheeler View Post
How convenient!! Maybe you could get them to rivet your spring hangers etc. and pass it off as an original F60T!

Actually I'll be very interested to see how the prime mover wheelbase looked. I'm not sure I've ever seen a pic of one, except this sad looking Chev below.

In some ways it's almost fortuitous that you're forced to shorten the chassis, given that it will effectively be an F60T replica. It's not something you'd do by choice, but in doing so you'll have something a bit out of the ordinary, and of legitimate interest to CMP purists. That's how I'd be looking at it anyway. It's also a very practical wheelbase, and I imagine quite impressive with 20” wheels, while still being nicely proportioned. Was it 115" or 110"...I can't recall...not that it matters much.

I agree though, a turntable is not a particularly fascinating object to stand around and admire. A big gun on the other hand would certainly turn heads in the main street!

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern