View Single Post
Old 19-04-10, 18:16
Michael P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball View Post
If the pistons are frozen then the chances are good that the valve train is too. You'd best remove the head, inspect it and the valves for damage/pitting, then soak the cylinders until you can hand-crank the engine. Don't overdo the force in hand cranking as you'll risk damaging stuck valves as well. Once everything is moving, you can have a good look at the cylinder walls and decide at that point whether it might be better pulling the engine and sending it out for a rebuild... which may well be what's needed; if there's damage in the upper end, it's most likely the crank needs inspecting/grinding/new bearings as well. Better to do it now while you're in rebuild-mode!

Geoff
hi Geoff.

that is what I was worried about, if the pistons are stuck, the valves may be also, and if I start the engine it may backfire allot and possibly create more damage.

I think I can do all the labour of tearing down assembling the engine, and leave the machining to the engine guys.

I guess it would be good to get hardened valve seats in the engine at that point.

I am sure allot of guys here have redone their engines, does anyone have a idea of what it can cost me?

and lastly, anyone have an idea of how I should plan out my attack to re doing this vehicle?
would the engine be last? drivetrain first? then body?