View Single Post
Old 03-12-05, 06:17
M38A1 CDN3

Default Re: Re: Sad

Quote:
Originally posted by sapper740
Avoiding collisions with vehicles driving without headlights is an occupational hazard in Arab countries. They don't seem to comprehend that the alternator in their vehicle will recharge the battery when the engine is running, consequently they drive sans illumination until they are within approximately 50 yds of the approaching vehicle whereupon they suddenly turn on their headlights blinding the driver of the other vehicle whose eyes were accustomed to the dark! Screeching to a halt on a narrow, windy, poorly maintained road with no shoulders and minefields all around made for some exciting times! We had many such incidents until Cpl. Stephan Pader, an Austrian M.P. had his vehicle hosed down by two Syrians wielding AK 74's after stopping. Amazingly, Stephan received nary a scratch, even though there was a bullet hole through the top of the shoulder of his sweater! Subsequent to that attack we didn't stop when blinded by an approaching vehicle.....we put pedal to the metal and held on! Insh'Allah!
Once while driving in the south of Jordan on my way to Petra, with my headlights on in the middle of the day as per our s.o.p.'s, I was pulled over by a frantically waving Jordanian soldier who suddenly popped out of a little guard shack literally in the middle of nowhere. I had some qualms about pulling over, as I was unarmed and he had an AK. There was little to no traffic on this stretch of highway and I could have been taken hostage or worse with no witnesses or evidence of my fate. I slowly rolled down my window as he approached, trying to judge his intent, keeping my foot on the clutch and the transmission in gear...my right foot hovering over the accelerator just in case...he walked up to the open window, AK at the ready and in stilted english asked, "You have headlights on.......why?"
As my sphincter released the seat I explained in pidgin English and what little Arabic I had learned that it was orders to keep our headlights on. This satisfied him and he let me continue on my way.
My heart and prayers go out to Pvt. Woodfield's family...I can't begin to feel their loss. I hope they take some solace in that we honour his service and sacrifice.
Yeah, pucker factor indeed.

I spent two years in the Middle East...sometimes near Petra as well, mostly at Yanbu and Aden.

Guard posts in the middle of no where...and they don't speak or read English, nor understand the provisions of your oxra or iqama.

Scary...and these clowns typically are allowed into this country and demand the "rights" to which they f
eel that they are entitled.

See previous threads about similar (I think, justified) rants.

Boukhoura, In'Sh'Allah.