View Single Post
Old 16-02-20, 20:14

Default Sorry for the thread Necro

Hi there.

FNG here and this actually (Partly) answers for me a question I have had since 2001.

Back when I was up in Borden then on a cadet course; I spotted this beast at a distance down the road while we were being marched somewhere. I knew right away that it was an M74, but not a thing about M74s being used by the CF at any time.

I asked and was told that was the EME school and that they restored things like that there in order to learn skills. They also had an M5 40mm Bofors nearby at another EME building.

At the time, Borden seemed full of fenced-off compounds with odd old equipment in; little fenced squares here and there, with say; a CF-5 and an old M211-series 4x6 truck and little else, including space!

Later, when I came back; I noted that the M74 was not to be found on display anywhere and I always wondered what happened to it. A Book I had on restored WWII tanks suggested that collectors and restorers valued ARVs as work horses for moving other projects around and moving heavy parts and so I wondered if that might not be it's fate.

I would still very much like to know what the school used it for, if anything.

More recently, I have been to Kingston and saw the M74 here, but did not know it was the same vehicle; I presumed, as one would that it was being displayed as part of the REME Museum collection, but thought the paint scheme did look odd and the markings were incorrect even from a distance.

Sad to know more of this story, but still wonder about M74s in the CF and what this one was used for before it was disabled.

I beg your pardon if me bringing this back after so long is a bother.