Thread: Wanted: Uncut no4 barrel
View Single Post
Old 30-03-23, 01:39
Terry Warner

Default Barrels

The current movement is to return sporterized No.4s to original configuration with the full length wood and hardware. You are going to be competing with highly motivated collectors and shooters. A restorable No.4 will start over $500. They're not cheap and disposable anymore.

If you plan to display a firearm, even a deactivated one, be prepared to secure it just like real steel, with locks that are correct for the RCMP's current firearms laws. A proper deactivation also requires welding the bolt and magazine into the receiver, putting a hardened steel rod into the chamber and welding the barrel to the receiver.

If just a visual reference is your objective, I suggest your alternative is to use genuine No.4 wood with a buttplate, something to hold the front and back together but to be concealed with an issue canvas action cover, and representative pieces on the front end. If you are challenged about displaying a firearm, you unsnap the closures and show whoever that there is not receiver present and therefore not legally a firearm. Hell! Paint it bright pink for laughs.

I can help you with the metal parts from my father's spare parts bins. Every gunsmith will have 3 old buttstocks and some cutdown foreends.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!