View Single Post
Old 25-01-20, 22:51

I had to take a break from oscilloscope work this week as my head was starting to spin, and I think I was also developing a mild case of 52-Set Withdrawal.

I decided to try a little more hand polishing to remove more of the yellowed varnish top coat on the Sender panel. A simple half hour of freehand work without work lights. I tackled the lower right quadrant of the sender fan door assembly, where I had earlier removed a set of red numbers. (See Posts 201 and 228).

The polish cloth was coming away with quite a brown tone to it as I worked, but the colour did lighten up quite a bit and when the time comes to clean the Sender panel, I think I should be able to get a very close match to the upper portion of the Receiver panel.

The other little bit of excitement was the arrival yesterday of a second Cases, Spares Box for the 52-Set.The interior KimPaK lining in this one is as close to mint as one could hope for, compared to my other box. (See last photo Post 168). Restoring/replacing that lining was going to be a major challenge, so I was pleased to cross paths with this one.

This box also underwent a NATO conversion on the outside and I will be surprised if any original stencil markings show up. But I will take a careful look...just in case. The exterior of the box was sanded and NATO Greened, and then a large patch of tan paint was slapped on and NATO stencil ID's added in black. It looked so garish, the previous owner toned it down with a uniform coat of green paint.

David
Attached Thumbnails
WS No. 52 Sender Paint Clean 1.JPG   WS No. 52 Cases, Spares 6.JPG   WS No. 52 Cases, Spares 7.JPG  

Last edited by David Dunlop; 26-01-20 at 03:12.