Thread: How To: C15a Wire-3 restoration
View Single Post
Old 16-06-19, 21:22

Default Current limiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Baker View Post
Warning acknowledged......

Overload protection? Would this be the current limiting device that is mounted to the backside of the dash?
Hi Jordan

Yes, that's the current limiting device I'm speaking of. Of the three of these on my trucks only one actually worked to limit the current. It vibrated to beat the band to limit current at 30-40 amps when bench tested. The other two would pass 40 amps with not a sound.

The first the one on the HUP I used, the other two I did not use, instead putting a modern thermo braker in, forget if I used 30 or 40 amp units. Now as I think about it think going back and adding a 30-35 amp fusible link at the point where the main harness picks up power at the starter might be a good idea. Now that your work as reminded me I should go back and add it to all three of my trucks.

Other thread over the years have discussed the value of adding a battery disconnect switch. I used a marine battery switch on my C60S when I installed the 261 engine. It let's me run truck on 6 volt normal conditions, then if for any reason the truck doesn't start I can switch just the starter over to 12 volts. In either position the trucks normal electric system only gets 6 volts. The switch as an off possition as well. The 12 volt battery normally just drives the water pump for the shower, lights in the shower/toilet and the modern radios in the cab.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com