Thread: For Sale: 1945 Tanker Oversuit
View Single Post
Old 22-03-16, 17:03

Did anything ever come of the vendor?

I connected last week with a shop in Pakistan that specializes in military hats. On a lark, I asked about clothing and they said they did them.

I told him of our efforts to get real green denim versions of the AFV crew suit made and sent him a close up of some real, unissued fabric.

He said he could get it. ( I want to see it!!)

Long story short - I sent him one of my cotton twill repros to use as a pattern. I also sent over a size 5 Pixie suit ( one of the Dutch post war) as a pattern.

The plan is to get a single one of each made matching samples of original fabric I sent him.

I will check for construction quality and fit and how close the fabric matches. I have stressed that the green denim needs to be real warp and weft proper denim.

However, if they do a good construction job on the AFV Crewsuit but have to use cotton twill dyed the right color, - and the price is right - I would probably go ahead with some orders as I have new clubmembers so bloody tall that nothing from the first batch will fit anyone.

Sizing - Problem first time around was that people took their measurements over a t-shirt and underwear or jeans. The crewsuits fit like shirts.

Not quite a problem for the denim ones as we wear them hear with just skivvies due to the summer heat. Often over 40C or 100F

But for the winter Pixies, you need more ease to get them over layers of thermals, BD, jersey, BD jacket, and still have the room to bend to get through the hatch and into your seats.

I have a size 6 that is larger than my real measurements and I can't wear the full set of winter clothes and bend over.

SO going by the label in the wrist doesn't seem to work.

Any suggestions? Right now, I just have to put it all on, and measure over that.

Key to any coverall type - flight suit, boiler suit, crewsuit, etc, is the torso height - crotch to neck. I wore flight suits for 18 years int he Navy and the crotch was always lower than with trousers. Otherwise, you sang falsetto when you had to scrunch up your legs to climb something.