View Single Post
Old 02-04-13, 04:57

Default My experience with Pertronix.

I installed mine on my cab 11 on a rebuilt 261.

Not a lot of mileage but the engine runs very well.

Using the 40k coil really gives a very hot spark...... does it need to be that hot a spark ?? probably not.

With the high voltage you can check very easily if the cables/sparkplugs are firing...... with the original skinny hard wire spark plug cables if you have wet hands and hold a wire while rest the other hand on the crossmember you get jump started. I now have modern larger size sparkplug wires.

Also had to increase the gap to 40thou on the plugs.....engine ran considerably smoother. Got the tip on the web from experienced user of Pertronix.

Knowing how fickled a CMP can be, I would not leave on a long jaunt with out a spare fully set up dizzy ready to drop in the engine block stored in an emergency waterproof ammo can..... mind you on a cab 11 that may take some doing to even access the dizzt side without a half hour of undoing engine cover screws.

Maybe that explains why most cab 11 and 12 we have acquired never had the full engine "doghouse" in place..

The electronic system did away with the points, condenser, ballast. It is hardly noticeable and I can't burn the points by leaving the power on.

Bob C.
Canada