View Single Post
Old 09-04-06, 19:26
Richard Notton

Default Re: Re: ignition

Quote:
Originally posted by sapper740
My experience was over 30 years ago and I'm hoping the maunfacturers continue to work bugs out of their systems. The cross-firing in damp conditions is just something to be aware of and be prepared to counter. My system was also one of the first very high spark voltage systems.
I'm just so used to cleaning and adjusting points that it's almost no bother at all. I also always carry a spare condenser with me.
We need to be careful, two systems are marketed under the banner of "Electronic"; one truly is and the other is barely!

Quite right, the full electronic systems using an energy discharge system somewhat like the modern photographic xenon flashgun can play merry hell with systems never designed for it and produce spark voltages that most HT cable can barely contain. I see this commonly on the flathead custom/racers forums; any attempt to route HT cable in the standard steel conduit is a recipe for disaster it seems, with cross-firing and tracking cables a continual problem.

The other system is only electronic in as far as a solid state switch replaces the points and this is triggered by an opto-electronic or Hall Effect device as are the full electronic versions. These solid state switches give a useful but modest increase in spark volts since the switching edge is far sharper with no possibility of point arcing or the previously essential capacitor (condensor) spoiling the switch fall time and thus the rate of coil magnetic energy transfer into HT volts. The distributor shaft is usefully relieved of point spring side load and the use of a commutating or chopper disc to trigger the system means the timing and dwell angle is set for ever.

More is usually better but a lot more is sometimes counter-productive!

R.