View Single Post
Old 12-04-06, 05:22

Default Got to pipe in.....

I have also been considering a unit called Pertronix.... about $100 Cdn and everything hids inside the original distributor.

Knowing how tight a cab 11 engine compartment is a more maintenaince free system would be a real plus. However, when you check forums like the Stovebolt you will get a lot bad vibrations from some members. At one point they had the reputation of just plain quiting..... fried..kaput .... and owners reverted to carrying a spare convention dist. to get back home/

Now changing a distributor on a "normal" Chev six may be easy but on a cab 11 I would have to turn it upside down, sit the darn thing on my lap and burp it.

I have exchanged some e-mails with Phil Waterman.... he feels if a good set up distributor can run for years.... with some maintenance than that is good enough for him. Phil has been running is big C60 for some years and except for chewing up fan belt it has been reliable.

I have managed to pick up a few NOS circa 1958-59 GM disributors so I could carry a spare with me..... but darn it I am still curious about the Pertronix.

Anybody else have experience...comments.

Bob C
Canada