View Single Post
Old 16-11-15, 06:29
Son of Kangaroo Trooper

Thanks Hanno. I do miss the old man.

As Jon mentioned, we did have a great AND emotional reunion last Saturday. I was a bit blindsided by a presentation made to me in Dad's memory. A framed 70th Anniversary of the Liberation of the Netherlands medal, a commemorative put out by the Dutch Branch #005 of the RCL in Holland this past spring. It;s quite an attractive little medal, but what really struck me was the Dutch Orange ribbon. I was immediately reminded of our Guidon and flooded with emotion.

So many memories of my Dad, but as he was too ill too travel just the week before our Guidon presentation in 2011, it will always be a great regret of mine that he was not able to cross the 'finish-line' with me so to speak, as we were then being perpetuated and remembered by 31CER.

So many veterans I came to know weren't there. Dad's friend and fellow Kangaroo Tpr Art Bell was maybe the first one to try and get us recognized by the Military again. Geoff wasn't there. He got the ball rolling on that great initiative.

Last Saturday the 7th was our 67th... possibly the last reunion with the veterans, but one never knows. I have stepped away as Secretary. I took over from the late Geoff Winnington-Ball in late 2010. Mark Tonner will be filling in now. This makes the most sense, since most of our events as tied to our perpetuation unit 31CER will be in St. Thomas now. Much easier for Mark to be the public face and spokesperson for our veterans as he is just down the road and I am three Provinces away. However, I am still involved and engaged with the Association and of course the Regimental Archives Calgary which will remain active ad available to our veterans and surviving families.

Armatos Fundit!

Bill Miller Jr.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0213 copy (1).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	77448 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0167 (1).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	77447 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0450.jpg