Thread: Heads Up: LAAT body in UK
View Single Post
Old 22-10-13, 22:36
British Indian Army

Default Wrong place at wrong time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardT10829 View Post
Nigel, that looks tragic, what happened ?
Hi Richard
It happened a few years back now. I had a very large wartime hanger and was setting up a vehicle storage facility in one half with a living history museum in the other. Had just opened and had several military vehicles in store, about four luxury caravans, a couple of containers of personal household items and six classic cars.

At about 4am one night it was set alight and because the outer skin and main structure was metal, it burnt to a heat internally like an oven and the beams simply slowly melted inwards with all vehicles burnt.

I had divided the area with a curtain which unintentially was made of heat resistant material fabric and this saved my Dingo and several other vehicles including this truck from literally being melted down. The front of this CMP still had its paint on and engine was ok with only rubber parts gone. As you can see the heat buckled the thin panels but the rest were fine.

I bought the salvage of my Dingo and had it rebuilt badly by a so called professional, but eventually got it right and it was a joy to have running again. Luckily the carrier wasn't there.

Now aren't you glad you asked!? Lol

1942 Ford Utility 11YF
1942 10cwt GS Trailer