View Single Post
Old 25-12-19, 02:53
Centurion nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra View Post
Canadian Sexton 25-pounder self-propelled gun, obviously on a victory parade with lots of spit and polish, most likely just shortly after WW2.

The reverse of this picture postcard has the imprint "Canadeesche tank - Stevens Photo - Haarlem".

Anyone with knowledge about artillery markings to identify the unit?
Hanno,

I don't think this photo represents a Canadian vehicle, and I say this for two reasons.

First, the soldiers are wearing uniform accoutrements identifying them as horse artillery. Take note of the cap badge, which is not the regular artillery cap badge, the use of collar badges and badges at the bottom of the epaulet. Canada only had one horse artillery regiment during the war, and it was equipped with towed 25-pounders serving in the 1st Canadian Infantry Division.

Second, niether of the field regiments in either 1st or 2nd Canadian AGRA had the AOS serial '338' like the Sexton in your photo.

However, according to Bouchery, 4 RHA in 5 AGRA was equipped with Sextons. But there is a glitch. Continuing with Bouchery, the AOS serial for 4 RHA was '1191'.

So, the bottom line to all of this is, I can't tell you to which unit the vehicle belongs but I don't think it's a Canadian one.

Cheers,
Dan.