Thread: Bren Mount
View Single Post
Old 25-11-06, 15:59
GM Fox I

Default Thanks guys

Hanno, I was 'gently' trying to see if there has been any discoveries since that last thread!!

Dave, yes, these mounts were apparently used early in the war on a number of vehicles. The few comments I've heard regarding their use is that they weren't very popular. Imagine an ME109 comming for you...and you're arguing with a spring loaded, scissor-like contraption for the Bren. The other comment is that there are no two alike. I think this isn't quite true as the differences may be due to how the mount is configured. It looks like you can use two springs or three (due to the difference in weight between a full and empty Bren perhaps?). On the attached picture, you can see the third spring not in use wired to the top tube. Also, the mount is made from three tube sections. It looks like you can mount the Lakeman either using the first, short, section (like in the photo) or using the second, longer section (like in the grainy photo of the Covenanter in the previous thread)

Alex, you may be my last hope for details. With the pictures from Bovington I am OK for dimensions but would like an exploded view or such to get as many details right before I start a 'limited run' of reproductions. Interested in a pre-order Dave?