View Single Post
Old 18-04-19, 03:03
carrier mech

Rookies....when the M151A2s were sold, I bought 30 of them from Shilo. I was in Winnipeg at the time. So for each one I would have to drive the 200kms to Shilo, hook an A-frame to a Jeep, and then tow it to Westbourne, MB, where I collected all 30 together. I would head out on a Saturday morning to Westbourne, and with the help of an old deuce HIAB, it would take me 4 hours to completely strip a jeep to the bare body. On a long day I could get 4 done, but usually I stopped at 3-1/2. I was in it for the long haul.

When they were all stripped, I had a massive pile of jeep tubs. A local guy with a flatbed picked up all 30 and took them to Mandak in Selkirk where the crown assets guys came out to watch them get cubed 4 at a time.

So only 10 LSVWs mean that you would only have to make 10 trips with a simple 14 foot long flatbed trailer. At minimum bid you would be paying $570 a truck. There are van bodies on many of them. The electronics, alternators, starters, drivetrain, tires, etc are all saleable. End of the day, you will have 10 frames and cabs to haul to the scrappers. If it's anything like the Jeeps I bought, most will have full tanks of diesel to help defray the costs of moving them.

Trust me, as I have been with the LSVW fleet from it's introduction: the fools that buy these things are going to need parts. One only has to ask superdave about this: with his LSVW many people who meet him think he is just a pair of feet sticking out from under one of these lemons.
Sorry Dave...had to do it.
Attached Thumbnails
superdave.jpg  

Last edited by rob love; 18-04-19 at 03:10.