View Single Post
Old 12-04-08, 04:39

Default The Airport Sucks for Families.

Thanks gentlemen for your feedback. I can understand where Alex is coming from with his reply too. The work that he did with the TMP probably could not have been done by anyone else who attends Corowa. So I can attest to his replies.

Personally I believe that negative feedback should be accompanied by possible solutions, not just a complaint for the sake of it.

Having said that maybe an e-mail to Alex, Jan, myself or anyone on the committee detailing your ideas could have been a bit more personal.

I agree the Airport as it stood WAS uncomfortable for families. Of that there is no argument. Remember, we DO NOT usually get 40 degree days in March. Here is the question, was the main complaint the heat. It was for me. I was there too.

If the heat was the problem then the committee really can't do much about that. The shade goes hand in hand with that. We as the committee didn't know it was going to be that big or that hot.

Fact. It was the biggest swap meet that they have had. There were more stall holders than ever before.

Fact. It was the longest swap meet that has been held.

Fact. There were more locals that attended that ever before. Source of that being the local Council and volunteer organisations. Plus discussions with the local papers after the event.

Alex is correct in that it is easier on traffic to start from the normal start point and get the Airport vehicles there early. NOT the other way around. This has a smaller impact on local traffic.

In addition the normal start point may not even exist next year. Council have plans afoot for road works that will change that whole area.

The other thing is resistance to change. If that is a concern, I am afraid the committee can't do any thing about that either. We have to change with council, attending numbers etc etc.

As for the demigraphics as to expecting 200 vehicles. Take into effect the growing annual attendances and the type of vehicles in attendance. Then consider the number of individual types compared to theme year and whether they have attended for some time. For example, there was only one GPA there this year where there is normally an average of 8-10. Blitz numbers were down also compared to past years. As this is the theme vehicle set I would expect a larger number of them next year.

There will be tracked vehicles again as well.

You mentioned keeping it all together at Bangarang Park, guys it would be great as well as a lot simpler if we could do it. The plain truth is with the type and number of vehicles attending we have simply outgrown that one location to do it safely..... Sorry.

Suffice to say, would a marquis placed at the Airfield by rotary to cater for the ladies with tea, coffee, cold drinks etc be acceptable as a compromise. If there are any other suggestions feel free to send me a PM or e-mail, I am more than happy to talk them over.

As for the stall holders at the swapmeet, it was a learning curve for all. I know I will be bringing additional shade next year, I have suggested that they do the same. This is something that ALL stall holders at swapmeets should be able to understand and accept. I know that at Bendigo, not every stall holder gets shade and soft grass underfoot. We are in the middle of a drought, the Airfield is usually a bit greener that that anyway.

If as a committee we are not doing as the members wish, then maybe you could put your name forward at the AGM for a position. I am sure that we wouldnt mind, as I said we are open to ideas.

It's not what you know
It's not who you know
It's what you know about who..

Last edited by Ian Pullen; 15-04-08 at 16:03. Reason: Crap spelling as usual