View Single Post
Old 21-01-16, 21:34

Gina,

ARN 134804 had the original engine number (and therefore, chassis number) 3G47304F. The vehicle was taken on charge in Queensland. It was disposed of from 2BOD (Moorebank? Liverpool?) in July 1957.

My notes concerning the entry are interesting: like many of the No.9 FGT, the model is listed as an 'F60S'. Also, the chassis number entry is left blank: only the engine number was listed, a common occurrence when the engine and chassis numbers were the same - particularly with Ford jeeps, for example.

The AWM example follow's the AMF's post-August 1944 markings scheme, in this case, for 2/12th Artillery Regiment - 2-12 being the unit marking (the '2' indicates a unit originally raised as part of the 2nd AIF) and 74 being the unit type marking, in this case, a field artillery regiment. The background colours of red over blue, divided horizontally, are the arm of service colour code for artillery. I don't remember the Formation to which the regiment was assigned in the late 44, 1945 period - that symbol is only just visible on the flat in front of the left side windscreen, painted in white on a black background. The cam scheme approximately follows one of the issued patterns (as per the instructions at the time) for the period when the vehicle was built/delivered.

The 9/6 is the bridge plate, with 9 being the class when laden with towed load, and 6 being the class laden without the towed load.

It's a long time since I dealt with the instructions to the restorer, so my memory of the specifics is a bit dim. Unfortunately, I departed the AWM on LSL prior to the completion of the two vehicles (F15A and FGT), so the latter stages (of assembly and painting) were under the direction of a conservator.

'T' numbers are generally not listed in AWM126: there are exceptions to that statement, but not for M3 Light, which is the area I think you are most interested in?

Regards

Mike

Last edited by Mike Cecil; 21-01-16 at 21:41.