Thread: No 19 Help
View Single Post
Old 04-02-17, 21:29
[user name reset]

Thanks David.

I guess I had better figure oput the cable lengths for the VHF .

All the Stuarts up to the M3A3 had the same length sponson. So mine a mid production M3A1 has the same length as the first M3.

The sponson guns were removed early in the piece and never used in Australia. They were removed as much for their ineffectiveness as for the desperate need for room in a cramped M3 series interior.

The Australian Stuarts had the 19 set in the stbd sponson from the first and never used the radio shelf that was at the stbd rear of the fighting compartment in the M3.
Our first 40 M3 came from the Uk and were modifies in accordance with the then UK standard....many of those mods were done away with before they were deployed to training and the 1st armoured. The smoke discharges and radio set location being two.

The British location for the 19 set on the shelf at the rear of the fighting compartment was a very bad idea. It was behind a 37mm storage bin and ideally located to either trip up the loader or provide a handy step for him . It was complete hazard when the turret was traversed...

Any photos of antenna set ups would be greatly appreciated .
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN2905b.jpg   DSCN3836b.jpg