Thread: 11 Set stuff
View Single Post
Old 07-03-15, 11:31
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletrac View Post
I got a few cables today. The ground strap looks like the short one to ground the set. The cable is 44" long and could be an aerial lead but I'm not sure. I have a couple more of them coming so I'll save one for the aerial and use the other two to make up some battery leads. 44" should make it from the aerial condenser on top of the set to the aerial. For battery leads I'd run them down the charging panel mounts and splice them to new wire where they are out of site. Maybe I could rough the new stuff up a bit to look the part.
Those brass thumb nuts look about right except for the colour.
I'm going to have to make another case with 4 inch sides and put the panel mounts farther down in the case. The hardware on the terminals stacks to over 3/4" and the doors will hit them. I'm still wondering about a plastic panel.
It's a learning experience I guess!!!!!
I think that ground strap is for the WS19, and rather later than the 11 set.
The other cable looks like a battery jumper lead for the 6 volt 100 or 170 AH units - either between batteries or battery to charging switchboard/Batten Terminal.

Looking at the manual a bit more, the cable they used was "Cable, Electric, P11" and is still (probably) in use today. It's certainly available as surplus on eBay from "gten98" (the seller name is an interesting joke: Army Form G1098). See:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Multi-Stra...-/111239765644

Niphan plugs turn up at radio rallies occasionally.

The screw-on spade terminals for spring-loaded or screw-up aerial and earth terminals also sometimes appear, and they were still in use until the 1980s at least.

I'm beginning to think that the door clips can best be salvaged from old "Cases, 4 valve. No. 3", but please only scavenge the ones that have already been gutted, since intact ones are needed for the Wireless Set No.18 and 46, etc. The clips are spring brass, riveted on, and will probably be very hard to make without a power press and tooling.

Chris.
(There's a radio rally tomorrow - I will keep my eyes open.)