View Single Post
Old 20-04-17, 16:37
carrier mech

If the wheel bearings are packed, and the tires are in good shape, towing it on it's own wheels behind a regular pickup truck is a dicey proposition. We have decent size pickups here in N. America.....in fact we are mocked for them. But the smallish trucks I see elsewhere would have a hard time handling the non-braked artillery pieces. Add to that there is a bit of a speed limitation to them, since they generally have no suspension. Our roads, at least in this province, will cause the artillery piece to develop a bit of a rhythmic skip. I have worked with rolled over parts from 105s.....the main chassis is usually OK, but it will be the telescope mounts and the shields and brackets that will bear the brunt of the upside down operation.

I have used my own pickup truck to go short 20 mile trips, or 200 mile round trips to the city, but in general, a trailer is the preferred method of movement. Luckily, the 25 pdr at under 4,000 pounds is a relatively light load, especially for the cummins diesel.