View Single Post
Old 18-06-17, 22:30
Bluebell

Mike, thanks for the info. my conclusions are based on what I have seen on the ground, and the odd old photo. My knowledge of actual history and details is somewhat lacking.
I made the incorrect assumption that the wider track/ wheels arrived with the MkVIB, but were obviously already in place with the MkVIA
There is a photo of new track going on A VLT in the desert and this is where I drew my conclusion that Australia had taken up Vickers track improvement when designing the LP2. If you know the photo, are you able to date it?
I assume these VLTs came from the Vickers factory already fitted with this wider wheel, design of track in the late 30s, when Australia first bought them?
With the longer track of the VLT, I see the potential for throwing track and I imagine the VLT would have had big issues with that problem, had it not gone to the wider rubber.
I note that in the same vein, the Loyd carriers had added cleats to its sprockets. (I am not sure if this was more about reducing the wear rate or to help "stabilise" the track?)
The Canadians later changed the design of the sprocket on its U.Cs. for similar reasons.
Again, thanks for the clarification.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....