View Single Post
Old 19-06-20, 15:00
MLU Administrator

Default Bombay Chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Theobald View Post
I have been trying to track down the make and model of a truck in this picture and whilst most advice has been it is a Chevrolet 30cwt, I couldn't find pictures where the front end matched.....until coming across this forum. The man in the picture is my father who was part of REME when it was originally formed. He was part of 2ABW and I believe this was Egypt. So was this "Indian" reference to modifications made in India? I would like to make a scale model of one but the Tamiya one that is most common has a totally different grill and will need modifying somewhat. Any help appreciated!
Hello Simon,

Thanks for joing us and bringing in such an interesting story.

The Chevrolet in the picture is definitely an "Indian Pattern" truck, which means it was a chassis/cowl (either with or without windscreen) exported to India where it was fitted with a wooden cab and basic angle-iron-and-wood GS cargo body. This is most likely a 3-ton truck, not a 30-cwt.

Check out the threads "Bombay Chev" and "Chevy Art deco 1942 (4x2)" for more information and pictures.

As suggested it is indeed not a 1533X2, which was built entirely in Canada for a specific demand from the LRDG.