View Single Post
Old 08-08-20, 08:31

Default Airline connection

Thanks for the reply Grant. Based on the information you gave I had a good look at my 200 odd LRDG truck photo's. I looked at the area below and around the door frame, as you suggested. The running board on most LRDG trucks was loaded with stowage, quite often running its length, with extra boxes, spare wheel on the Breda gun trucks and cans stowed in front of the standard rack containing 3 x 2 gallon POW cans. This means that if the airline came out in this area on a vertical surface the stowage would block access, which doesn't make sense. This left the horizontal steps, which don't show up well in photos, due to the canvas door at the front, stowage at the rear, troopers in the way etc. However I did find this intriguing photo of a 20mm Breda gun truck having a tyre change. A trooper seems to be lifting a flap on the step, which ties in with your comments, would give the crew access when the running board was heavily stowed, is central to the vehicle and explains why its not visible in the other photos. Would this be a possible solution to the question? Does it make sense considering standard fitting on other vehicles? Also would there be one on the other side too? Are there any photos of this arrangement on other MCP Chevrolets?
Annoyingly I've looked at this photo a hundred times and never noticed that detail!
Attached Thumbnails
Picture16.jpg