View Single Post
Old 01-07-18, 21:50

Regarding the question of the use of chrome grills on military production, I visited someone yesterday who has a number of vehicles (several makes) that were new to the US military and have chrome grills. When I commented on this he pointed out that they were not chromed but were actually pressed from stainless steel. On close inspection I was absolutely satisfied that they were stainless and were original to the vehicles, which were unrestored US imports and very much unmolested.

These sort of components would normally have been manufactured in a very large batch at the start of that model year's production, and in a quantity to suit the anticipated production needs. With each manufacturer moving over to mostly purely military models, the production of light vehicles with more or less civilian front ends would have greatly reduced so the parts stock would have lasted much longer than a normal model year. The choice would be then to either use the stainless ones or to scrap them and make painted ones. As these vehicles were not for front line use they evidently opted to use up stock. The vehicles that I inspected did however have painted parts that on civilian ones would have been chromed so they had discontinued chroming to some degree.

David