View Single Post
Old 03-09-07, 15:02

This is not intended to be a long winded reply but may well be, due to the issues raised on MLU.

Congratulations Richard Green, you appear to be the only person to take the time to study all that has been written on the subject of tracked vehicles at Corowa 08, by people in the know, that being Khaki Vehicle Enthusiasts Incorporated (KVE Inc).

As a reminder, KVE Inc was set up as a result of a meeting I called in 2005. This meeting set the ground rules to form a committee to run this event with all the necessary insurance to protect the organisers from been sued personally if somebody got hurt. There have been people hurt in the past, but we are lucky that they have not seen fit to seek compensation for their injuries.

In this day and age of litigation, we can not be too careful. I do not want to lose my house through no fault of mine.

Two serious accidents that come to mind quickly at past events are a Bren Gun carrier that nearly rolled over losing a track as a result, with people on board. The other was a GPA that sank in the river, again with people on board. This is why KVE Inc was set up, to protect the organisers from litigation.

Yes, Keith Adam’s proposal is a stand alone event, not including KVE Inc in the management. This again brings potential insurance issues if it is not done correctly. We are not prepared to take the risk.

Yes, Corowa Council, through the Mayor Gary Poidevin, has reached an agreement with KVE Inc President John Hedges, for the use of the entire airport to facilitate all needs that may arise in regard large tracked vehicles staying at the airport, including camping at the airport. In addition to the airport, we are also making final arrangements for the use of 2 paddocks near the airport as playgrounds for tracked vehicles.

The Mayor of Corowa has said that Council do not want a larger than necessary group staying at the airport, but are happy for the larger vehicles that would have difficulty getting into the Caravan Park staying at the airport. The council also, will not allow a swap meet at the airport. They are mindful that Ball Park Caravan Park is the hub of the event and do not what to detract from that.

Initially, Ian Pullen from Bandiana intended that their vehicles would not be staying over night at Corowa due to security reasons. They now may be able to arrive as early as Wednesday, or as late as Friday, if not Saturday only still. We will have to address the situation prior to their arrival and allow for contingencies. As for others bringing very large vehicles that may not fit into Ball Park, we have no other entries at this time, although others are talking about it. This adds to our difficulties, making it hard to plan for the unforeseen. Since John Arnott resigned we have no voice from AAVA on our committee, again adding to our problems.

If anyone is intending to bring large tracked vehicles, PLEASE register ASAP, so we are aware and can cater for your needs, whatever they may be.

Remember the Six P’s. Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance, so help us to help you, remember we are only lovers of restored military vehicles, as you all are, trying to do our best for the event so everybody has a good time. Those committee members that own military vehicles and wish to find some time to enjoy their vehicles at Corowa, are often spending more time organising and running the event, instead of what Corowa is all about, catching up with old friends and enjoying our vehicles. For this reason, the present make up of the committee will not last forever, others will have the chance to take over.

The Executive Committee of KVE Inc. will be encouraging people to join the association, with the view of taking part in helping to organise this event in the future. With this in mind as a result of John Arnott resigning, there is a vacancy on the executive committee. This was offered to Ian Pullen, having regard to all the expert advice and help he has been and is giving us. Ian has declined the offer at this time, but is still helping with the event in no small way with safety guidelines and street drive. KVE Inc appreciates this input from Ian. All the information on the MLU thread and additional information from Ian, has been gratefully received by KVE Inc. As stated before, Ian and myself, as well as Colin & Carol are to meet at Corowa in the next 5 weeks to further the arrangements for Corowa 2008.

Remember we are a small voluntary committee trying to run an event that is growing larger every year both in vehicles and people. We all have a life outside KVE Inc, but it is starting to take up much more of our time and that time is family time.

In summing up, let’s all pull together for the betterment of “Corowa” and help us to help you.
I’m available by phone of an evening on 02 62262281 except for Monday and Tuesday nights as I have other commitments on those nights, to answer any questions or to take offers of assistance.

I do not wish to continue debating this matter regularly on this forum. As new info comes to hand, I will post it. I have a lovely lady in my life, and we will be getting married in February next year. This means we have a wedding to organise as well as Corowa. Fiona is a big help to me with KVE Inc behind the scene as well as the minute secretary at our meetings, leaving Jan freer to have input into the meeting without having to worry about taking minutes.

Regards
John Hedges
President KVE Inc

Ps
I only look at the MLU site once a week or so as time allows.