View Single Post
Old 14-08-08, 03:44
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Churcher View Post
Derek, this is off someones website and I can't remember where.
Barry
That picture is one of hundreds from AntiqueTractors.com, a very informative website if you're interested in researching tractors. When you look at the VAIW as compared to the VAIWA, there appears to be very little difference other than the lifting frame and it's associated attachment points and hydraulics. The VAIW in your picture may very well have been military at one time hence the green colour. I've learned a little more since my last post regarding the Case nomenclature: I now know that the W in VAIWA stands for Warehouse. The VAI was the industrial version of the agricultural tractor, which was further modified for warehouse use (VAIW). There were two models of the VAIW built, the VAIW-3 with single rear wheels which was the one used by the military, and the VAIW-4 with dual rear wheels. They were both used as towmotors. I'm still looking for the final definition of the "A" in VAIWA. I'm thinking "Army" or "Arm", but it's still a guess. SO, the VAIWA was the bomb loader version of the VAIW which was the towmotor version of the VAI which was the Industrial version of the VA which was the agricultural version. I think I'm starting to get it now.

CHIMO! Derek

P.S. thanks for the great pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Case VAIW-3 Aircraft tug 3957 built in 1945.jpg