View Single Post
Old 02-06-17, 23:05

Default Clark Forklift (Fork truck)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Freathy View Post
A couple of photos for I.D here the first a crawler used for pipe laying ex U.S engineers the second i think is a Clark industrial fork lift ex U.S.A.F but what do you guys think
cheers
Les
Hi all,

I was cruising some old posts and found this one, posted 18-7-08. The forklift is almost identical to my Clark forklift. In USA, they are sometimes called a forktruck, I have noticed.

By looking at pictures on the internet, I have worked out that mine is either a "Utilitruc" or a "Carloader". I bought it about a year ago and it is occasionally used in my workshop. It is definitely not an off-pavement vehicle, with around 2000kg of counter-weights riding on the small rear wheels while the drive is on the front (often unladen) wheels. Very easy to dry bog it. Although I suspect it is designed to lift 2 tons, the previous owner once lifted 8 tons with it!!!! He had to replace a hydraulic valve about 3 months later. Surprise, surprise!

It was delivered to the USN in June 1945 and seems to have always been an Orange/red sort of colour. I have a second one that was dis-assembled into major assemblies 15 years ago and then left out in the weather.

Anyway, here's to a 10 year old thread!!!

Have a nice day.

Sam, downunder.
Attached Thumbnails
Clark Forklift 7.2014.JPG