Thread: Tyre sizes
View Single Post
Old 04-12-10, 02:46
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Tyre sizes

Hi All

As a relatively new member to the MLU Forum, ( I joined in July 2010 ) And currently restoring a 1942 MB Willys Jeep, something I have never attempted before in the past. I am thouroughly enjoying the project thanks to great advice and assistance I have received from members of the MLU forum.

I now have another question I seek an answer too. That is "Tyre Sizes" that can used on WWII Jeep combat rims. I had previously asked you guys for advice regarding whether to stay with my original Jeep rims or go to an alternative, like Suzuki Sierra Rims. The advice I received from MLU members, prompted me to happily decide to stay with the originals WWII Jeep Rims as that is how I wish to show off my restored Jeep.

Obtaining the correct Bar Tread tyres are a problem, dealers appear to have a shortage of 6.00 x 16 Bar Tread Tyres, claiming if they can get them they are expensive, because the 6.00 x 16 Bar Tread Tyre is now classed a "Vintage Tyre", difficult to obtain and Very expensive.

I have been told that the Army SWB Seies II Land Rover has a Bar Tread Tyre, 7.00 x 16 ( 205 x 16 ) and there are other off road 205 x 16 readily available and cheaper, could this be an alternative I could look at.

Have any of the MLU members used larger sized tyres other than 6.00 x 16 on their WWII Jeep with any success. Would this be an option for me.

Other than Tyres my restoration project is coming along nicely and I have attached photos showing my current stage of restoration, I hope to start the engine in about a week. I will be taking my finished project to Corowa 2010.

Cheers

Little Jo
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01781.jpg   DSC01783.jpg   DSC01782.jpg