View Single Post
Old 06-06-19, 02:47

Hi Bruce.

Just came up from trying to tune the 19-Set to 3.615Mc. Thunderstorms in the area. Not very productive. Was hoping to natter a bit on the air tomorrow.

The Connector No. 17 cables are No.3 B&S stranded copper cable, rated at 125 Amps and rubber covered. Up to that point in their description, they would appear to be standard automotive battery cables of the day. From what I can see at the lug ends of mine, the rubber on both is black. Red and black cotton cloth loom was then slipped over the rubber cables and the ends on mine were then bound with a heavy cotton cording and lacquered to hold them in place. The loom at one lug end has started to unravel a bit due to moisture, but should be an easy repair when I get to it. The loom binding just peeks out from under the Bakelite head about 1/8 inch on mine.

My thought process leads me to wonder if red and black cloth looming might have been a common item on automotive battery cables at some point in the 1930’s and 40’s. If so, it might be replicated today by some of the antique auto electrical suppliers.

David