View Single Post
Old 29-03-08, 15:23
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lang View Post
I don't think I put up a photo of my 1940 Dodge staff car whch we drove from Aqabah, Jordan to Normandy a few years ago.
Which border crossing did you use to leave Jordan and how thoroughly did the Israelis, if you drove through Israel, search your car? Reason I ask is I wonder if your experiences driving in and out of Jordan were similar to mine. During my U.N. leave I visited Jordan and entered at the Jordan River border crossing near Bet She'an and recrossed from Aqaba to Eilat. Before I could reenter Israel the Israelis insisted on searching my truck from top to bottom, even removing the tires from the rims. Apparently that was a popular dodge for Palestinians to smuggle explosives into the country. They kept me waiting for nearly 2 hours during this process which annoyed me to no end. I kept my tongue during the search, something I didn't always do with the Israelis as they can be a very annoying people. They can be very pushy and obnoxious at times. If you got a minute I'll tell you an amusing story of a time when I finally had enough of Israeli attitude and let one have it. In Eilat there is a movie theatre for tourists where they show a presentation of the natural wonders of Israel and the Red Sea. The soundtrack is in Hebrew so they have earphones on the sides of the seats for Anglophones. My pair were missing so I politely asked one of the ushers, a pretty young lady, if she could get me a pair, please. Well, she spun on her heel and spat back at me:

"SCHWAY! SCHWAY! GIVE ME A MINUTE AND I"LL GET YOU A PAIR!!!! SCHWAY!!!!

Unfortunately, the young lady picked a moment when I had truly had my fill of pushy, obnoxious Israelis so I jumped up, turned my camcorder on and pointed it at her and yelled at the top of my lungs (when I'm pissed I've got a voice that'll make a parade square Sargeant Major shake in his boots)

"COULD YOU REPEAT THAT PLEASE SO I CAN SHOW EVERYBODY BACK IN CANADA HOW RUDE YOU PEOPLE ARE!!!!!"

The usher took off at a run...I never saw her again but an obviously embarrassed pair of Israelis sitting next to me sheepishly said, "We speak Hebrew so we don't need ours, you can have them."

It was a very interesting show.

Derek.

P.S., if you did drive North through Israel, is the:
ANGER INKHOLES
sign still on the side of the highway just south of the Dead Sea?