View Single Post
Old 16-07-19, 00:32
carrier mech

The same bendix system was used on the M35 2-1/2 ton trucks, the 5 ton trucks, the 3/4 ton Dodge, right down to the M38 Jeep. I always did a major adjustment when the brake job was first done, followed by a couple of minor adjustments. At the end of the day, you need the contact to be in the center of the shoe's arc. Repeated minor adjustments won't achieve that once appreciable wear has occured. I never had to do them as often as you are doing. Some variables are the condition of the drums (smooth/scored), the composition of the linings, the type of driving, and possibly the over adjustment of the shoes in the first place.

I would suggest you try a major adjustment again. Turn the lower anchors in the same "waterfall" type direction as the upper adjusters. Some of the bendix drums will let you get a feeler gauge into the drum so you can properly set them up. What you are after is contact in the center of the shoes.....not top or bottom.

If the shoes are correct, and you are still findng the need to pump the pedal, then perhaps a good bleeding is in order. Fresh fluid in the system is a good thing, and a preventative maintenance item that is often overlooked.

Last edited by rob love; 15-08-19 at 01:44.