View Single Post
Old 15-08-19, 17:52

Default Tapping in to the collective wisdom

Hi Lynn. Grant, Rob

Thanks for the input, you've added to the list of things I want to check.

1. The idea of the spring having lost tension, fits in with the earlier observation that this adjuster turns easier than the others. Next step will be to put a torque wrench on it and see if it really is turning easier.

2. The thought that the spring itself might be winding up as the adjustment is being made, had not occurred to me.

3. Confirming that the adjustment cam is not loose on the bolt is a big thing to rule out. If it is I can not think of the damage that it could do if it dropped off in side the drum. So I suspect that pulling the drum will be a necessity.

4. A broken or weaken spring from crack, rust, age, is I suspect the most likely cause. But what is the fix? Replace spring, or put a spacer under it to increase tension?

5. Replacing the backing plate is probably the hardest, as I have no spare and a used one is just as likely to have the same problem.

This is one of those brain teasers problems that not only do I want to fix but as important I want to understand the cause. Now that I have seen this happen on one adjuster where marking it has shown that it is actually moving. I will be marking all brake adjusters major and minor on the other trucks. Being able to look at a line on the part and know it changed is really nailed down this brake issue.

I'm looking at doing a couple of hundred mile convoy trip with the club in early September so nailing this down a being sure of the fix is important. Either than or carry a wrench and every time we stop slide under the truck and put the line back horizontal.

Will report back with more details and photos of what I find.

Cheers Phil

PS - While I was typing Harry provided a source for NOS replace part. Thanks Harry will follow up if that is the cause.
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com