View Single Post
Old 14-06-21, 04:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Armitage View Post
A drop of water in the fuel in the can do wonders on these injectors , a good teardown and clean will probably get you going. Great that you can check the spray after assembly, lots of pieces and timing involved. They may be coming back as I saw one on a table beside a Viper fighter, In Batttlestar Galactica.
Post some pics if you get a chance .

If you running the older type , the inj body is narrower and the tip set up is different as seen in the pic.

Regards K Armitage
Kirk, I notice from the Detroit manual there are two type on injectors, crown and needle. We have the needle type which I think is the later type. The needle valve pops open only after the injector pressure has reached a high value and gives a better spray pattern, I think.
Talking of spray pattern, I noticed something with our tester. The atomization of the 8 spray tip nozzles depends a lot on how quickly you bang the popping lever down on the injector follower. The faster you bang it down, the more atomization occurs. Considering the speed the injector is opened on a running engine, the atomization is probably better than I am seeing on the tester.
As you suggest, I built an injector from the best of the various parts we have and replaced the bad #3 injector with it. It worked far better and gave a good rpm drop when “shorted”.
Malcolm

Last edited by Malcolm Towrie; 14-06-21 at 04:57.