View Single Post
Old 24-04-16, 05:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris vickery View Post
Here is some food for thought on the subject...
I have often heard of guys wanting "dummy" safeties or ones from dubious mechanics. This is very illegal firstly and secondly it is literally taking your life in your hands.
I would rather have a mechanic tell me what is wrong rather than overlook serious or life threatening conditions.
On my first M38A1 which is not complete yet, I rebuild and replaced all of the suspension components due to the fact that everything was in roughy shape.
New springs, shackles, shocks, tie rod ends, tires brakes etc.
Another place guys cheap out on is electrical systems. Why spend all that time and money to restore you vehicle and then leave a 50 year old cobbled up wire harness in it just waiting for an electrical fire.
I actually had a mechanic look over the front end at one point, he gave it a clean bill of health, other than the bellcrank. It was impossible to notice unless you actually suspected the wrong tie rod end, in which case you would scrutinize it more carefully. The jeep in question was used on a farm for 40+ years and came straight from the Army, and if I were to point fingers, I would say it came from the Army with the wrong end. The old guy that owned it saved every receipt for every part he ever bought, and kept meticulous notes on everything he did. His only work on the front end was adding an aftermarket steering stabilizer. He even saved every old part that he removed, and included all the junk with the jeep.