View Single Post
Old 17-08-04, 05:07
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Courcelette - 15 Sep 1916

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark W. Tonner
Carman;

Part 2:

The below links concern the 1st Battalion, Canadian Mounted Rifles, C.E.F., of which Private William Viznaugh was a part of. These pages are from the 1st CMR's War Diary for Sept 1916:

War Diary entry for 15 Sep 1916 - page 1
War Diary entry for 15 Sep 1916 - page 2
War Diary entry for 15 Sep 1916 - page 3
War Diary entry for 15 Sep 1916 - page 4
War Diary entry for 15 Sep 1916 - page 5

Cheers
MARK ... I've suddenly become interested for another reason, other than my Granny's first cousins (Archie and William Viznaugh)

It appears as though my grandfather has on his headstone

CMR CEF

From what I'm getting, grandpa Private Joseph Smith (Eddie's dad) may have been fighting alongside granny's cousin Private William Viznaugh???

You know what slays me? I "get" and "understand" how I could "miss the history" because I left Manitoba area at age 11, then basically my family at early 14 ... went into a foster home, never to live at home again, and rare visits "home" or with family to "talk" ... but how come everyone else seems SO ignorant of family history? Sad ...

Ah well ... I'm currently trying to link my grandpa where he fit in in WW1 ... if you can help narrow my focus a little more Mark, I'd appreciate that Am I looking in the right direction regards Grandpa and William side by side, i wonder?

IF you are much too inundated with your own work and research stuff, not to worry alright

Meanwhile, I'm going to scan the above diaries see if I spot anything.

This whole digging into the family history is sure coming up with amazing "FAMILY SOLDIERS" stories. Gives me an incredible feeling of awe and pride in the men of my family. Amazing.

Karmen