View Single Post
Old 19-08-04, 12:56
Vets Dottir

Default Updates:

My sleepless nite has proved productive through ARCHIVIANET which has added a LOT of new materials and new attestation papers since way last year I actually found my GRANDFATHER ... Rfmn Edward Smith's dad's attestation record for WW1;

Private Joseph Smith
Regimental # 1072219
C.M.R. C.E.F.

THEN I pulled up Grannies cousins, and their attestation records are there too...

William and Archie Viznaugh were brothers who were KIA/MIA the same day ... (Sept 16, 1915) Archie, the eldest is named on the Vimy Memorial ... I glanced through his record on Archivianet and it mentions that HE SERVED BEFORE... but I can't make out the initials/who with etc.

http://data4.collectionscanada.ca/ne...e.html&r=1&f=S

GEOFF ... I'm sorry ... I know that I've really turned this into my own personal family search, gone way off topic of my original post about 1944 executed POWS ... and have gone back into WW1 territory ... and so on. I hope you'll forgive me this off track wandering ...

My interest is more "whole-istic" than merely my own family stuff though, too ... it's about learning about events and things, people, that have shaped and set in motion our present ...etc ... but I know you all know the "benefits" in knowledge and awareness that comes with digging out the hidden roots ... when those roots are SO deep and wide ...

"I searched for a grain of sand in the dark,
and I found a beach in the daylight" sorta thing

I feel a lot of pride for these men of my family.
They've all been tucked out of mind, as far as I know, by relations "silence" of not passing on the knowledge and remembrance through oral or written tradition, and I feel incredibly sad about that, but I'm also glad I'm interested because my interest will revive these mens memories and stories ... my heart especialy belongs to Uncle Eddie tho Very special story.

Coffee time ...