View Single Post
Old 03-11-19, 04:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Storey View Post
You were indeed fortunate that you had surviving markings to document and wise to accurately replicate them on your nicely restored M37CDN. The "51" means that the vehicle was assigned to an armoured regiment. The British inspired tactical markings are intended to be somewhat mystifying and were changed on occasion with those used by the post-war Canadian being especially challenging to decipher decades afterwards.

Do you have the CFR and serial number for your M37CDN?
53-41226. I don’t remember my serial number offhand. I know a little bit about the WW2 British markings, if they are similar to Canadian markings, “51” would signify the senior Armoured regt. in the formation, right? But photos don’t seem to support this, I have seen many vehicles marked with only a “5” on the RCAC flash. The hood markings were repainted a few times, and they were indeed painted, not decals. Then they were completely painted over and a Mobile Command decal replaced the old style formation sign. The only marking I couldn’t replicate was something on the driver’s side front bumper, possibly a yellow box or something similar. It had been damaged too much to figure out what it was. I am overjoyed to have been so fortunate in uncovering my truck’s 1950’s era markings! I know it’s a rare thing.