View Single Post
Old 15-04-22, 01:10

Another quick question regarding the mounting places on the Mk I carriage for the Ground Spikes. On the photos I've seen so far there are two ground spikes mounted, side by side, on the side of the cruciform just to the right of the Travelling Lock for the Gun. I presume there is at least one other, or possibly two ground spikes, mounted on each of out-rigger arms as well?

You can see more clearly what I am talking in photographs of this Dunkirk survivor at IWM. If you look at the second photo, just behind the left-side wheel you can see two Ground Spikes mounted on the side of the carriage, one pointing left and the other pointing right. There's a third ground spike visible on the out-rigger arm.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30025446

On the model I have there are a total of three ground spikes mounted on the carriage. One of each out-rigger arm and a third on the side of the main beam of the cruciform, just to the right of the travelling lock, where the photos normally show two ground spikes. Does anyone know if there is a particular Mk, or national make, that has only one ground spike mounted on the side like that?