View Single Post
Old 04-08-06, 18:46
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Re: Marmon Herrington MkIV Armoured Cars

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanno Spoelstra
According to an article in Issue # 8 of Armored Car, the Mk IVs (both Mk IV and IVF) did not arrive in time for the North African campaign. "They were however used in the Middle East and elsewhere by the British and their allies, Greek Forces, and the Arab Legion. A few were also later used in pairs for railway protection in Palestine by the British."
The same excellent site that hosts the Armored Car article, www.warwheels.net, recently publised an article from South African Karl Furrutter titled "A Brief History of the Marmon Herrington Range of Armoured Cars", from which I quote:
Quote:
[The Mark 4 and 5 Models] won themselves a legendary reputation during the latter part of the Desert War and during the Italian Campaign, which was the only European Theatre that the South African Union Defence Force was actively involved.
I believe with "The Mark 4 and 5 Models" Karl refers to the Mk.IV and IVF models.

This is the first time I have read the Mk.IV armoured cars were used by the UDF in Italy. Does anyone have any further information on this?

H.