Thread: Dunkirk
View Single Post
Old 21-08-17, 17:04
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelly View Post
I guess we all have different definitions of what a good movie is .. it's a subjective thing isn't it !

Me, I reckon the movie industry does a great job of perpetuating fantasy in its many forms. Primarily, at the end of the day, these blockbuster movies are made with the movie company shareholders in mind and the hopeful big profits involved.
Movies are entertaiment, for which as many people as possible want to pay. People go to the movies to be entertained and be distracted from their daily life. Maybe dreaming away being a princess, succesfull dancer , boxer or musician - or travelling through space battling species on planets they never heard of.
Come to think of it, one wonders why are people willing to look at movies like Dunkirk? It isn't all singing and dancing, is it? Maybe seeing the misery makes the viewers feel better, as compared to that, their life isn't too bad after all? Psychologists can surely tell, and I am sure they are employed by Hollywood movie producers. Meanwhile, we must count ourselves lucky with producers and directors being willing and able to make war movies!

H.