Thread: Dunkirk
View Single Post
Old 22-08-17, 08:51

Afraid I didn't enjoy the movie , it really did need a back story to link it all together , soldiers don't fight in silence they have banter. Jumps around so much and is so loud I didn't know whether I was in a sinking ship or a crashing plane after an hour and wanted it to finish.
Best bit is the opening scene which really captures the fine line between life and death in war , but again just a bit of rubble and wreckage in the street would have made it so much better.

The Dunkirk scenes in the movie Atonement were much better done with real attention to detail even including building dozens of Morris CS8 replicas that were quite convincing. Not so sure about the casting tho!
Here's five minutes of the 20 min continuous Dunkirk shot-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QijbOCvunfU

Dunkirk a bit of a pet subject so rambling on-
All the theories about Hitler pausing to let Brits escape are hogwash IMHO.
Churchill and Admiral Ramsay in full possession of all the facts thought at best we would get no more than 30,000 away . No doubt the Germans thought they would be able to stop all but a handful by air bombardment ( and why would they continuously bomb the port if they wanted us to escape ? )
So there was no need to waste resources attacking trapped troops in a heavily defended town that would be needed to fight their way south across the rest of France .

Last edited by chalky; 23-08-17 at 10:37.