View Single Post
Old 03-03-11, 11:54
Alastair McMurray

Default Loyd Carrier Progress

I haven't posted much concerning the Loyd restoration on MLU, so I though I would just do a short update as to where I am.

The two wrecks arrived on site in July 2010, one has slowly been stripped with all parts being recorded and examined to see if they will be usable in the future. One range target vehicle sat upright for many years and the other was upturned, thus together I am managing to restore one Loyd from both. The Loyd you see upside down and cut in half was recovered from the range with a 90 degree bend in the centre, thus it had to be cut to transport it. Luckly this vehicle sat upright and its cross tubes and bogie parts are in reasonable condition, with it's interior rotted to nothing. The second vehicle (which is the basis for the restoration) sat upside down and it's interior parts were in very good condition, but the running gear had been shot to pieces.

As of March 2011 the Loyd has been stripped of all parts except the rear axle which is proving very stuborn! All the steering leavers and small brackets have been acid cleaned and painted, a replacement drivers floor and front lower hull plate have been fabricated, a 24 stud USA manufactured Flathead has been sourced along with a wartime gearbox which is being re-assembled at the moment.

Some new exhaust stub pipes have been cast and I should have the full set back from the machine shop in 10 days or so. Yesterday I was given a couple of free road wheels by a local farmer but I am still looking out for the following:
  • Bogies with springs and shafts (complete if possible)
  • Road Wheels (UC, not Windsor)
  • Track return rollers
  • Tracks (UC, not Windsor)
  • Rear towing spring and hook
  • Fuel tank change valve
  • Brake drums
  • Brake back plates
  • And almost anything Loyd related!
Paul V is giving me great assistance with the rebuild and as luck would have it there is a complete original Loyd TPC just 20 miles away in a private collection for measurements etc...

As far as I know this is the only Loyd project in the UK at the moment (eddy8men is parts collecting for a future project), but I'd love to hear from anyone in the UK who has a Loyd or is in the process of restoring one.

No2 Mk2 TT - 1944

Front Axle Removed

Diff removed, date 1943

Family helps out!

Drivers controls / hull support bracket

Drivers floor

Drivers floor removed - everything unbolted with ease!

Original Flathead V8 - Not in the best of health.

Original Gearbox (now scrapped) showing US origins.

front_lower_hull by ajmacv8, on Flickr
More images on flicker

Under Restoration:
1944 No2 MK2 Loyd Carrier - Tracked Towing
1944 Ford WOT6 Lorry

The Loyd on Facebook

Last edited by ajmac; 03-03-11 at 12:10.